This apple crisp recipe is the taste of home that we all long for. A delicious dessert made with oats and fresh apples. You’ve won’t believe it how yummy it is. The addition of fresh thyme adds a subtle savory note to the otherwise sweet flavor profile of this classic apple crisp recipe. Jump tp recipe.
Apple picking is a favorite fall activity that I look forward to very year. There is nothing better than bringing home a basket of freshly picked apples to make Grannie's Best Homemade Apple Crisp Recipe for dessert. Oats spiced with cinnamon give this recipe a wonderful texture. The sweet taste of home in every bite.
Tip: Choose firm apples, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady (pictured), for this recipe. These varieties will hold up well to the heat of baking without turning to mush.
Grannie's Best Homemade Apple Crisp with Oats Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 45-50 minutes Serves: 4-6
Ingredients: 6 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced 1 T. fresh lemon juice 1/3 c. real maple syrup 2 T. 100% apple juice (sugar free) 1 t. ground cinnamon ½ t. ground allspice 1½ t. fresh thyme leaves ¼ t. salt Topping Ingredients: 1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats 1/3 c. almond flour 1/3 c. almonds, sliced 1/3 c. honey, preferably local 3 T. unsalted butter, melted
To Serve: (Optional) Vanilla bean ice cream or freshly whipped cream
1. Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish and set aside.
2. Place apples in a large non-reactive bowl and toss with fresh lemon juice. Add maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon, allspice, thyme leaves, and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
3. Combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
4. Pour apple mixture into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well.
5. Place into pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. If the top layer is nicely browned, cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes or until the apple crisp is nice and bubbling. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
6. Serve warm with some vanilla bean iced cream or freshly whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!